[Fwd: Re: [Bf-python] newbie]

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue May 13 03:47:08 CEST 2003

Sorry, should have sent to the list, here it is:

From: Willian Padovani Germano <wgermano at ig.com.br>
To: guignot <guignot at wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [Bf-python] newbie
Date: 12 May 2003 22:40:44 -0300

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 22:11, guignot wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm a french computer science teacher, and would be very interested in
> joining Blender Python API dev. team.

Welcome aboard : ).

> After a very fast discussion with french Blenderheads, it appears that
> some desired features would be :
> Nurbs and Particle control from Python.
> A neat and STABLE API...
> I will probably work on Nurbs, if someone else works on it too, please
> let me know.

>From what I know, no one is working on Nurbs, at least for exppython,
the new implementation of the 2.25 API.  So you can start from there, if
you choose to.

> a) How can I work ?

I'll put a basic reference is another e-mail, so Michel, LarstiQ and
others can reply to it and it can become a basic newbie dev guide for
exppython.

> Do you want a diff file, or  the new version of the files (as a proposal).
> Where can I send these files ?

As a start, you can send the files to this list, or personally to us, if
you prefer (Michel, LarstiQ and me).  I can forward to them and also
test it.

> b) I am studying Blender code, and I don't understant how the Blender
> module gets the
> link, bylink and event members. Could someone explain me?

The linking and parenting parts haven't been done yet, this will be our
next goal after all basic modules are in place.  Due to the basic
structure of Blender objects and the 2.25 API, they haven't been
necessary to write and test most of the functionality in each module.

> c) What about security? Suppose I send someone a blender file, with some
> objects linked to an aggressive python script.
> Will the script be executed ?

This can be a problem, really.  We're using a full-fledged language
(Python, of course) and so scripts can do whatever you can do in
Python.  That includes messing with any file in the system to which the
user has permission to write or execute.  Pov-ray's own language can do
that, too.  Their solution was to give users the option to limit the
directories in the system where a script can write / execute programs
(reading is potentially a security risk, too, of course).

We'll have to research and discuss this, among other things.  Thanks for
bringing up this issue.  We're really at the beginning right now.  The
first milestone is to replace the current implementation and only then
evolve exppython.

Personally I like the idea of a central repository for Blender Python
scripts.  The most important open sourced ones can be bundled with
Blender itself and the others can be in this online repository, where
visitors can give them scores and atest they are not "aggressive".

Opinions?

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br