[Bf-python] Non Linear Animation

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Jun 27 10:00:37 CEST 2003

Hi,

> Is there any support for NLA yet? I have a build from May 22 but don't
> see it in here. Thanks asdf_46.

No, not yet, so here's another open project : ).

Maybe you or someone else would like to work on it, so I'll give some
directions:

The first thing is to have a good grasp of what an NLA module would need to
expose to be useful.  The bf-committers list and forums are good places to
get more info about this, of course, if necessary.

Next comes the references:  the source/blender/makesdna/ dir has the structs
we base our work on.  In this case they are DNA_nla_types.h and
DNA_actions_types.h.  The easiest reference in exxpython is Camera.[ch],
look there and in DNA_camera_types.h to grasp how things are done.  Then use
a module like Jordi's Armature/Bone to see how to "embed" an object inside
another, that'll probably be necessary for NLA, from what I saw in its
struct.

Then come up with an API for NLA, following our new conventions, found in
modules like the ones above and Material, Lamp, etc. -- the new modules.
Emailing this list with the API proposal is a good idea, so others can
comment about it.

Then code it, or parts of it, maybe working together with more people here,
since it's easy to distribute smaller pieces of the task, they are kind of
independent.

But please anyone wanting to code NLA or any other module tell us all here,
so no one wastes time duplicating work.  And, again, if someone picks it and
you want to help, say so.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br