[Bf-python] general guidelines

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Jun 20 12:47:59 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 07:12, Jordi Rovira i Bonet wrote:
> There's something i don't understand here... Why write documentation in
> a fake module and not simply write the documentation? If a fake module
> has to be made, why use a documentation extraction tool? It doesn't make
> sense to me...

Python documentation systems work with Python files, I found none that
worked with C ones (and worse, some don't work with .py files, only
modules integrated with the Python distro, not our case).  That's why we
write fake modules, they are small, only reproduce the same docstrings
available in the C ones (with possibly more info added, since these are
for the docs, not to be printed with

print Module.__doc__
or
import pydoc
from pydoc import help
help(Module)

Look at api2_2x/doc for the Camera.py fake one.  If you look at the
example doc made from it that I sent, you'll see that epydoc generates
**a lot** from that simple .py file.  You can try for yourself: download
epydoc (sourceforge) and run it on the Camera.py file I committed.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br