[Bf-python] Automatic documentation : ) !

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Jun 19 02:49:32 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 17:14, Michel Selten wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 21:50, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> > So can some one specify, who is the intended audience for anything w.r.t
> > python in the Blender docs?
> > -- those who already know python or similar (ie, be able to understand
> > the any such 'epydoc' [1] generated API)
> > -- beginners who want to understand what this is all about and possbily
> > progress through to scripting
> > -- or any other middleground ....
>
> The intended audience is the user base of Blender. In other words those
> who want to write a script to use in a .blend file. This will be the
> main reference for the users wanting to write scripts.

Yes, to write scripts you need to know Python.  What we'll do is include
an introduction where we briefly tell this and give links to Python
site(s) and docs, specially its official tutorial (quite good).  Besides
that, we'll try to make at least some examples very informative and
simple.  And in the end some better, also well commented examples, to
help newbies get "fancy".

The epydoc generated pages can look a little too technical at first, but
they are miles closer to an user than some dry ref doc or
specification.  It's just a matter of noticing they are actually
friendly.  Once you know what to do (from the examples at the start of
each section), all you need is a list of the other functions you can
use, with args / return value and other comments about each.  Less is
more, imho.

But you all feel free to comment.  Specially after we get more of the
doc done, please consider it, show to your friends, etc. and complain if
it's not good enough.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br