[Bf-python] Automatic documentation : ) !

Michel Selten michel.s at home.nl
Wed Jun 18 20:48:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 06:13, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
> There is a newer python documenting system that we can use : ). I'm
> attaching an example of what it did with the Camera module.

Ah, the Camera module is such an easy target for experiments ;)

> The advantage of this program, called epydoc, is that it's not
> restricted to documenting modules that the Python Interpreter can
> access.  Epydoc can document any .py file, so all we have to do is to
> write fake module / type definition files, with only class / function
> declarations and the docstrings.

Writing API docs would probably require us to maintain a second file per
module anyway, so I don't see a problem with that

> One more thing: it generates two copies, on public and one private, but
> we don't have private (like _myvar) variables, so it would be good to
> find a simple way to get only the public dir.  I didn't find a flag to
> control this, but if necessary we can ask the developers to provide one,
> or send them a patch.

This is a minor issue with the result I think. It should eventually be
resolved, but don't focus on it. Of course we can always ask the
developers.

> So, what do you say?

Wow, wow, wow!!!
It really looks great! This is just the tool that we need to write the
API documentation. Great work again Willian!

I'll first try to finish up the Object module, and then work on the
documentation.

With regards,
	Michel