[Bf-python] More friendly python for the end user.

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Mon Jun 2 06:05:20 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:57, John Harris wrote:
> This subject has been playing on my mind for some time now. To me it
> seems that python scripts in blender are limited only to the really
> intrested since a full version of python has to be installed. I don't
> know what it would do the the size of blender to include an interpeter
> with complete liberaries or if it is even practical. Including some more
> common lib like string and math might go a long way too help to.

The current Blenders up to 2.27 include the interpreter already, in the
python lib or dll.  The only reason there for wanting a full Python
install is to have the most common modules, like os, sys and math, for
example.  For exppython, this is an issue for a little later, since
right now we're still very busy with basic implementation, security,
user docs and ref docs and testing.  We must finish implementing to know
the exact details of how exppython will be integrated in the Blender
binary.

Including common libs may indeed help, though it would mean one more
dependancy for Blender programmers to keep track.

> Another thing that has been playing on my mind is having a way to load
> scripts into blend like texture and sequencer plugins are handled. This
> would make it so at no point would the end user ever have to look at
> python code (unless of cource they choose to.) This would make it less
> scary to the new user and also gave scripts a feeling that they are part
> of Blender.

Yes, this should actually be in a FAQ : ).  Don't worry, that's the
plan, but most probably not in time for Blender 2.28.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br