[Bf-python] Problems

maci_ray maci_ray at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 31 09:07:34 CEST 2003

 --- Willian Padovani Germano <wgermano at ig.com.br> schrieb:

> From: "maci_ray" <maci_ray at yahoo.de>
> (...)
> > But the header mechanism has the drawback, that with one header line, only
> > one menu entry could be established. Imagine a .py-File with more
> functions.
>
> Personally, for gui-less scripts, I do prefer one function per file, that's
> much more manageable and prevents that "monsters" grow over time.

That's right, but sometimes more little utilities can be combined in one
file, without needing a gui.

> > Programm code registering has the advantage that you haven't to check
> > yourself for correctness. Python will tell you. Just expose a python
> > registering framework.
>
> Blender would check and complain about invalid headers, too.  What can be
> good about headers is their simplicity: easier to code (and so maintain /
> understand) in Blender...

With python code you have only to maintain your framework. The rest is done
by the interpreter.

> ... and much faster to run -- no need to use the Python
> Interpreter, try to import a register callback from each file, run it, clean
> the global dict, etc.  In the future we may have hundreds of scripts there.

I agree that this would be quite slow.

> But anyway, I'm not deciding in favor of this or that idea, just discussing,
> of course.  We'll take all possibilities we find to the bf-committers list
> and decide there.

Yep. We're just discussing the possabilities and their advantages and
drawbacks. The count and decission have to be done later.

Maci_Ray.