[Bf-python] user feed back

Michel Selten michel.s at home.nl
Tue Jul 8 21:38:03 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 02:37, Jacques Guignot wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I received a mail from a french blender artist (dwarf, maybe you already
> know him?), which is very interesting, and presents some TODOs and some
> guidelines which, I think, should be very seriously considered...
>
> a) a list of scripts should be accessible(?)  from the main interface,
> with a button "exec plugin", allowing the user to load and execute
> directly a plugin (the "old" way with Alt-P should of course been kept)
>  >>> Does not seem difficult. I think I can do it.

Yes, this would be a nice addition. I think somebody else had done this
in the past too, but never committed it to cvs. Maybe he just did it as
a test.
I think it would be cool to have such a button too. Now, what to put on
the button? 'Run' or a nice icon?

> b) Sripts should be made "permanent", ie been kept when the user changes
> his working screen, and theur parameters should be kept in memory.
>  >>> Does not seem difficult. I think I can do it. btw, I never tried to
> change wk screen...

The parameters are kept in memory. That's why Willian added the function
ReleaseGlobalDict. By default, the dictionary is cleared after a script
is finished. You can change this behaviour by passing a non-zero value.

> c) Scripts should be able to interact directly with the current object
> (Mesh, Material, etc...)
>  >>>I am not sure to fully understand. I can ask dwarf to elaborate on that.

That's where the script link is for. You can assign scripts to objects.
When a script is executed, you can query for the object that is 'linked'
to the script. From there, you can get all parameters from the object
and do with it as you please.

> d) Some important functions that are accessible from the interface, like
> extrude, share, warp (csg?) should be accessible from the API.
>  >>> Seems difficult. I think I can ***try*** to do it.

This is very useful, but I think this should be done after 2.28. There
are a lot more functions to be exposed to the Python API. First though,
I think we should focus on exposing all data to the Python API.

> e) python scripts cannot change the rendering process (this task has
> been devoted to Sequences plugins, but these plugins are not so that
> easy to write.)
>  >>> Seems difficult. I think I can ***try*** to do it.

ah, wow, this sounds like something for the sequence editor. The most
sensible thing to do would be to allow Python plugins in the sequencer
then. Or am I wrong?

With regards,
	Michel