[Bf-python] Vertex Influence for no-armatured objs

Gilbert, Joseph jgilbert at tigr.org
Sun Aug 31 20:26:49 CEST 2003

Im done with my little vertex group project... feel free to check it out. If
you guys like it let me know! It may not be the best place for it (in the
object module) but it works! (and that's the important part :)
-----------
>Blender is the second (first big) project I contribute to.  After the first
>few contributions you gain confidence and that makes a *huge* difference.
>You suddenly feel like "a developer" : ).  It's like getting a licence to
>drive.

Lol. Blender is pretty cool stuff. I got all excited when I compiled it for
the first time :p. ;P :p

>BTW, I hope to write an EMesh module soon.  It will be like NMesh, but will
>give access to the current editmesh (edit mode "on") and so to info like
>selected vertices and faces.  If you have problems, maybe this module will
>be a better place at least for part of your additions.

Great idea. Because it looks like there are really 3 'sets' of vertices for
a mesh.
1)the MeshVerts (the real vert data)
2)the DeformVerts (the vertex group data - really for bone weighting)
3)the EditVerts (temp data which is set to the mesh upon calling load_mesh)
The Emesh module will be a great way of accessing functions that rely on
edit verts/face/vlaks ect, whereas m/d verts would be in a mesh module.
--------------
I guess my only concern is that the python script gives the wrong impresion
about the architecture of the program. The mesh python module really only
represents the datablock of an object. It makes it look like the Mesh is
really a descendant of Object - but it's not. I think this confuses people
who think that making a mesh is all they need to do. I guess what im saying
is that blender is not really OOP and the python script is making it look
like Mesh is inherited from Object. This was a big source of confusion to me
at first as I couldn't understand why I would need to link a mesh to an
object (if mesh was just a object already....).  This could be hidden by
just creating and linking a default object once a new mesh is created
without an object name parameter... Anyway just some thoughts.
~&?&~
  `

Josepb