[Bf-modeling] Vertex Pinning, worth looking into?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:51:34 CET 2014

Hi There (writing to all on this list)

Recently pinning was proposed, While I realize it has a use-case I've
been hesitant to add a second-kind-of-hide option.

The basic idea is to allow vertices to be locked for transform (and
snap, smooth... any deforming edimode tools).

But not attempt to make this apply to subdivide, knife, vertex weight
tools... etc.

It would also be editmode only, similar to selection (not modifiers).

Discussion here:

http://markmail.org/message/kpdqlbx7tweukrnw

Note I did make a patch to show all faces (show hidden faces)
https://developer.blender.org/D424

But I wasn't really serious about applying this, just to say if all
you want is to see the entire model - this doesn't need pinning.

Its a bit of a trade-off. its just another thing you have to check,
Currently if you select all and grab, you move what you see, without
having to consider if some vertex is pinned out of view.

We already have a kind of pinning with objects (locking their
transform channels), but vertices you often have 1000's more then
objects so there not quite as easy to manage.

If theres enough interest and you guys think worth looking into
further, we can have design proposal on developer.blender.org and
flesh out details there (list of tools to support, key bindings, how
it should look. etc)

--
- Campbell