[Bf-modeling] proper behavior for knife cut, midpoint snap mode

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:42:30 CEST 2014

We have conflicting opinions (in the form of bug reports) about what the
behavior should be when you have midpoint-snap on with Knife, and the line
crosses intermediate edges.

See https://developer.blender.org/T39617
where the user complained that the 2.69 behavior was to snap to the middle
of the intermediate edges too. Though I kind of liked the newer behavior
(not snapping to the intermediate points), I agreed that this was a
behavior regression and so "fixed" it to the 2.69 behavior.

Now there are complaints about that fix.
See https://developer.blender.org/T40805

I lean towards reverting to the "don't snap to the middle of the
intermediate edges" method, because there is an easier workaround to get
the other mode: just click on each edge as you cross it while drawing the
line (in midpoint snap mode).  And the star example in the T40805
discussion is compelling.  (But one could also say the that half-wheel
example in T39617 is compelling.)

What is the right answer?  I don't think this is important enough to make
an option or have different key stroke shortcuts for the two different
midpoint-snapping modes.

- Howard