[Bf-modeling] Show Front Edges Only

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 03:20:04 CEST 2013

heres a patch which may do what your after.

http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/hidden_line_r57741.diff

- Only works in edit-mode
- Must be solid mode (note - it could work in wire mode but so many
tools assume backfacing verts/edges are visible, I chose not to do
this)
- To give the behavior suggested, you must enable xray (for the moment).

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Sean Olson <seanolson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would save me a lot of headaches in trying to visualize my retopo
> work.  Also +1
>
> -Sean
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM, metalliandy <metalliandy666 at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like a good solution to me. +1
>> On 26/06/2013 00:37, Jonathan Williamson wrote:
>>
>> A current problem we have while retopologizing a surface is keeping track
>> of the new geometry, while also being able to see the original form clearly.
>>
>> I've just discussed the issue with Campbell on IRC and we've come to the
>> conclusion that a straight-forward solution to this is a Display option for
>> the viewport for "Show Front Edges Only."
>>
>> Here's the current problem: http://cl.ly/PsEh
>>
>> As you can see, while in shaded mode, you practically can't see your new
>> geometry.
>>
>> An ideal display mode would look like this: http://cl.ly/Pt54
>>
>> This allows you to view the original form in shaded mode, and yet see the
>> new mesh in a wireframe, while also hiding all back edges and vertices.
>>
>> Currently there's two main ways to do this. One is Xray, which gives you
>> this: http://cl.ly/PtGQ, and then Shrinkwrap. Neither option is good.
>>
>> Having a "Front Edges Only" option for the Viewport, which would work on
>> the currently selected object would be ideal. This would allow you to easily
>> see what you're working on while also allowing you to work on multiple
>> objects easily.
>>

>> Jonathan Williamson
>> http://cgcookie.com

> --