[Bf-modeling] flipping direction for new faces

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 19:33:13 CEST 2013

Recently on blender.stackexchange a user asked about the flipping
direction for newly created faces,

Currently face creation will check the direction of connected faces
and use this as a bases, normally this is `good enough`, but in the
case that there is no connected geometry you may as well flip a coin.

I realize this isn't such high priority but we may as well not give a
random result to users.

There were 2 suggestions for now to choose when no connected geometry is found.
- Create faces using the order the winding order that the
vertices/edges are selected.
- Create faces pointing towards the user.

Any opinions on which is best? (or other ways to choose).

In case you want to read the original question;
http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1020/how-is-the-normal-direction-determined-when-i-use-make-edge-face

--
- Campbell