[Bf-modeling] Proportional Edit Mode (Connected)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 14:52:33 CEST 2013

Hi, There are cases where the current proportional edit-mode
'Connected' option doesn't give a nice smooth result across a grid for
example.

For details see the 2 links below, but these images sum up the problem
quite well:
* http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/498/35590/25506/ProportionalEditingBug.png

* http://i.imgur.com/U5TZW3i.png

Details... previous discussion and bug report:
* http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=35590&group_id=9&atid=498

* http://markmail.org/message/zkon53qzx32b5xek

Probably long discussion is not needed about this.

I think there are 2 obvious options....

1) Accept that connected works like this, just close the bug and tell
users it known limitation with current design.

2) Add a second "Connected" option, so we have...
* "Connected (Topology)" --- what we have now.
* "Connected (Distance)" --- the real distance would work like it did
many years ago, so only connected geometry is effected, but that
geometry uses the distance between the 2 points without measuring
along the topology.

{for a less obvious option}

3) we could keep the options as they are now, but make "Connected"
work without giving ugly artifacts,
... For example rather them simply measuring along edges we could
measure across faces too... this would take longer to do and not
necessarily give perfectly smooth results, but could still be worth
looking into.

--
- Campbell