[Bf-modeling] Mirror Editing

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 07:59:48 CEST 2013

Hi, looked further into this... ack!
This option was added, only so it could be always disabled (without
the option the mirror setting would be used for extrude-transform
which fails as we have seen).

So - solution is to hide the button since this is really an
implementation detail (committed, bug closed)

@Jonathan, topology mirror has the main advantage (when it works),
that you can use mirror weight paint onto an asymmetrical model as
long as it has symmetrical topology.
The problem it suffers from is it fails in very simple cases - like a
cube,. So users tend to test it and think its broken. But for more
complex character models I found it works fairly well, (All BBB
characters work for example (with exception of birds feet))..... this
should really be better documented though.

A few other related points on mirror,

One of the things that bothers me a bit about mirror is how it
silently fails, so you enable the option then *hope* it works,

Recently I've change weight paint-mirror and select-mirror to report
when mirror fails in the headers info text [Mirrored 123 Verts, 3
Failed].
Having these reports for transform might be useful to let you know not
everything mirrors or, if you have mirror enabled by accident which is
probably more common.

But I can imagine they would get annoying, for transform its more
obvious when mirror fails too, since you just wave the mouse around
and you can see whats not moving, for weight paint mirror its a lot
less clear what happens.
--- anyway, if any of you think we need to make tools communicate
better what happens with mirror, I'm interested to know.

One last thing, When importing models that are mostly symmetrical, but
not 100% I found it annoying and there is no good way to `snap to
mirrored`,
so probably blender should have a tool that does this built-in.

- Campbell