[Bf-modeling] Fastloop (loopcut) with subsurf smooth option

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 6 00:59:07 CEST 2013

Hey everyone,

I have spoken to Campbell about this on IRC but wanted to post this on
here so other people can give their opinions etc.

My proposal is that we add the ability to have a hotkey/button that
causes the loopcut/slide to constantly be called so that fast loops
(hence the name) can be made in quick succession without the need to
constantly hit CTRL+R. The tool would be exactly the same as the normal
loopcut/slide only after making a cut it would instantly be called again
so another cut could be made immediately after.

Press button or hotkey> Loopcut> Slide> Loopcut> Slide etc.

I would like the tool to have an option of smoothing the result (by
pressing Shift when LMB clicking) so that it could be used in
conjunction with hard surface modeling and the subd modifier as the
result would still be smooth. This would be the same as setting 'Smooth'
to 1.0 only set to a hotkey, unless Campbell wants to add something that
is more intelligent.

I made a script a while back with the help of Crouch that automates this
functionality (minus the smooth stuff), so if people want to get an idea
of what this would do please check it out.
Of course in the official version of this tool it would be nice not to
have to press Esc x2 to exit and still be able to rotate the mesh. ;)

http://www.metalliandy.com/downloads/scripts/fastloop_016.py

Cheers,

-Andy