[Bf-marketing] Corporate Identity

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:25:10 CET 2006

[QUOTE]
This makes me think that, before determining all the concrete
marketting stuff, we should first agree on what is currently wrong
with blender's perception by the outside world, and more importantly
agree on what are our user target, because all the stuff we are doing
will depend greatly on what is our target.[/QUOTE]

There are three or four ways to approach which markets we want to target,

1) Professional user market share - the biggest segment of
professional users for 3d software is actually for 2d illustrations -
second biggest segment is 3d game content creators

2) User market share - the single biggest usage of 3d modeling and
animating software is in creating mod content for games - from very
simple modelers such as those bundled with games such as the Sims, and
level editors, GMax, to using Maya and other High end tools.

3) Potential developers - the biggest markets for potential developers
are for engineering, scientific, academic and game modding.

4) Markets based on funding constraints - another important marketing
is based on funding constraints - developing nations - India, China;
schools; and non profits are all huge potential markets for Blender.

5) Markets we are best suited for - the reality is we are not well
suited for any particular market - but are 'almost there' for quite a
few.  There are also niches in each market that with small
improvements we could conquer.

I have a strategic marketing plan that I drafted for Ton, and have
done research on the above markets (ie finding school contact
information, doing SWAT analysis for various niche markets, etc.)
I'll put the info up in the near future...

LetterRip