[Bf-linux] Todo for 2nd test build. meeting notes

D.J. Capelis djcapelis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:20:17 CEST 2008

Hi there,

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of a
chroot.  All the configuration that is required is one simply lets tar
extract it somewhere and then you type "chroot /path/to/environment" and
you're done.  This works fine on any linux machine, no reconfiguration
required.

Virtualization is very much unnecessary and unsuitable for a build
environment.  The environment is already heavy enough as is including an
entire userspace, the last thing anyone should have to deal with is
ensuring the build environment has the right drivers for your computer
or virtualization layer.

As for updating the chroot... that never happens just because of a new
release, the only time a new chroot is needed is when the libraries
required by blender changes.  That same updating would need to take
place on a VM instance as well.  There is nothing about a VM that would
simplify anything related to this process.

Virtualization is not, unfortunately, magic pixie dust that improves
processes like this. :)

I wish it were,
~D.J.