[Bf-interface] Top-Bar Design Details?

Pierre Schiller activemotionpictures at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 04:39:27 CEST 2017

+1 if this gets answered. Looks like dev team is concentrated on BCon these
days. I just had your exact thoughts for a week, after carefully searching
on this thread to find out more about the tabbed spaces.
Conclusion: Blender 101 seems to have a little bit of light on this.

I´ve been asking for draggable/floating windows that stay put until I close
them; to finally get rid of all the extra redundant panels all over the
interface. But this is exactly what they want: something that DOES NOT look
like anything out there, even thought everything out there is pretty much
"standarize" at this age. Innovative designs comes at a price of
re-learning the software which is another thing Blen devs don´t want. So
basically we´re tied up to some extents.
I think the best-ever solution is like Softimage had years ago. Drop down
menu, populated an entire tab. That way it would always show a MODULE, and
it was populated by options ONLY from that module. +1 if this gets answered
so I can post an idea inhere.
Thanks.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Jon Landers <pvtdsimmons at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to get a more detailed description
> and explanation of the tob-bar concept, *before* it is sent off to the
> "workshop" to be put into development?
>
> Currently, the only public info I could find regarding the top-bar is a
> couple old mockup images (well, one was) and a small paragraph basically
> saying it will kinda-sorta have rows and will contain a bunch of previously
> scattered tools/functions and will universally exist accross all Blender
> windows.
>
> While this gets the general gist accross, it doesn't seem to be enough to
> let people like myself know whether or not that this is a design that we'd
> feel comfortable with. For example, I know there are many who rejected
> Andrew Price's "tabs" concept, because it would have effectively turned
> Blender into a Maya clone and felt like a creative step backwards (even
> though it was a step forward for "usability").
>
> In my gut, I have the feeling that what is being presented about the
> tob-bar concept feels like a "functional" step forward, but a *creative*
> step backwards; it makes it (Blender) feel like a standardized piece of
> industry software (i.e. conforming), rather than a unique and creative
> paradigm (innovating). But, honestly, I have no idea if this is the case or
> not for the real design, because so little information about it has been
> presented to the public.
>
> So, I'm hoping some of you can help to clarify exactly what your thoughts
> are (maybe after this next meeting), so that more users in the community
> can see if their fears (or their hopes) are being confirmed or not, and to
> be able to pitch in and really help you guys (the UI design team) to land
> on the best option for both Blender and it's current (and future) community.
>
> Sorry for the long email! But, I felt I needed to say this now, as it
> seems, from the latest updates, that time is running short on getting
> community/user input on the designs before they're committed and developed
> and implemented.
>
> Thank you all for your hard work and for putting up with "passionate"
> users, like me. ;)
>
> -Jon Landers
>
> P.S. Since everyone's doing it, nowadays, I'll join in: Blender user since
> 2008. ;P

Portfolio 2013 <http://be.net/3dcinetv>
Cinema & TV production
Video Reel <https://vimeo.com/3dcinetv/reel2012>