[Bf-interface] Top-Bar Design Details?

Jon Landers pvtdsimmons at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 19:56:50 CEST 2017

Hi, there!

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a more detailed description
and explanation of the tob-bar concept, *before* it is sent off to the
"workshop" to be put into development?

Currently, the only public info I could find regarding the top-bar is a
couple old mockup images (well, one was) and a small paragraph basically
saying it will kinda-sorta have rows and will contain a bunch of previously
scattered tools/functions and will universally exist accross all Blender
windows.

While this gets the general gist accross, it doesn't seem to be enough to
let people like myself know whether or not that this is a design that we'd
feel comfortable with. For example, I know there are many who rejected
Andrew Price's "tabs" concept, because it would have effectively turned
Blender into a Maya clone and felt like a creative step backwards (even
though it was a step forward for "usability").

In my gut, I have the feeling that what is being presented about the
tob-bar concept feels like a "functional" step forward, but a *creative*
step backwards; it makes it (Blender) feel like a standardized piece of
industry software (i.e. conforming), rather than a unique and creative
paradigm (innovating). But, honestly, I have no idea if this is the case or
not for the real design, because so little information about it has been
presented to the public.

So, I'm hoping some of you can help to clarify exactly what your thoughts
are (maybe after this next meeting), so that more users in the community
can see if their fears (or their hopes) are being confirmed or not, and to
be able to pitch in and really help you guys (the UI design team) to land
on the best option for both Blender and it's current (and future) community.

Sorry for the long email! But, I felt I needed to say this now, as it
seems, from the latest updates, that time is running short on getting
community/user input on the designs before they're committed and developed
and implemented.

Thank you all for your hard work and for putting up with "passionate"
users, like me. ;)

-Jon Landers

P.S. Since everyone's doing it, nowadays, I'll join in: Blender user since
2008. ;P