[Bf-interface] Blender UI Meeting Notes - 2017-10-25

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:39:50 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's lengthy 16:00 UTC UI-meeting in
irc.freenode.net #blender-ui.
It's been a while so we had (and still have!) lots of stuff to cover.

== Blender 2.8: Ongoing Projects ==

* An officially agreed on list of UI targets for the initial 2.8
release(s) is needed. Their statuses also need to be clarified.
* Julian Eisel will set up a doc for this and consult other UI team
members for final agreement before declaring it officially valid.
* Remember, this is still the long-term plan:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/UI/Workshop_Writeup

* More 2.8 UI design development is really needed.
* Focus for the next few weeks should be: finalizing top-bar design,
evaluating and finalizing collections design, implementing a final
design of 2-3 manipulator based tools.

* Meeting agreed that Blender 101 shouldn't take too much time away
from other projects. Instead, 101 can use features developed for
general Blender - Blender 101 should be a use-case, not a goal.

* UI design for the Amber asset-engine has many open questions. We'll
try to get an initial & simple design done by the end of November.
Paweł Łyczkowski would love to help!

== Blender 2.8: Pending Projects ==

* Keymap-revamp: We definitely want to get this done for 2.8 but there
are still many unknowns. If we fail to deliver it for 2.8, it's
unlikely to happen before 3.0.
* Jonathan Williamson will write a document on pending technical
requirements to get things started.

* We still want Blender 2.8 to get a fresh, modern look! You know,
like software from this century ;)
* https://pablovazquez.art/ui/ is a nice (unofficial, tentative) start.
* We'd like to develop support for UI "Styles" alongside this (see
https://developer.blender.org/T45025).
* Pablo Vazquez and Julian will stay in touch to get this done as a
side project.

== Further Meetings ==

* For the coming months we'll probably try to do bi-weekly UI meetings.
* Next UI meeting on 8th November, 17:00 UTC.

Thanks,
- Julian -