[Bf-interface] Top-bar - Target for 2.8 or not?

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 23:57:24 CET 2017

Hi again ;)

After having cleared up some misunderstanding in regards to the
top-bar [2], I wanted to get agreement on if the top-bar or parts of
it should be postponed for after 2.80 or not.

There are still good reasons for the top-bar in general: it matters a
lot for the usability of workspaces, it communicates hierarchy of
options better, it resembles what users know from other apps some
more, etc.
Pawel's feedback mentions quite some benefits:
https://developer.blender.org/T50845#471020.

Ton suggested to postpone the part with the operator redo settings
because there are too many open issues ([2]). I don't think that's the
case though, which I wanted to discuss here too :)
In short, I'm not aware of any bigger issues that I didn't address
yet. Will write a followup mail on some details.
Also, would we squeeze remaining settings from the lower sub-bar into
the upper one? That would pretty much remove most benefits of the new
top-bar.

The part with exposing settings of running modal operators can be
postponed IMHO. It's probably not a simple change to implement and not
that important.
And again, there are no concrete plans of having settings for the
tool-system in the top-bar. We might work on that in the future, but
not now.

Also related: https://developer.blender.org/T53139

[1] https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-interface/2017-November/000271.html
[2] https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2017-November/048917.html