[Bf-interface] Blender 101, Templates

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 12:40:18 CET 2017

Hi,

The document seem aligned with the previous discussions. I like it,
but I miss mockups of what we expect to deliver. Even pseudo-code of
the template-python code would be helpful since Python will be the
only way of creating templates. But I understand if it is too soon for
that.

1) Is there any other example for templates that is not "3D Printing"?
It would be great to see some experimental mockup to see to which
extent templates will be allowed to customize Blender.

2) "regular Blender" (aka, blender as it is now) will be a template,
right? Apart from that one, do we expect other seasoned users to use
templates? For example, do you think a studio would ideally create its
own template(s) for its pipeline? (is it one of the use cases?)

3) > "How will user preferences for templates be separated?"

It's not clear to me if we simply will store some settings as template
settings (e.g., right mouse click) and other as global user
preferences (e.g., Compute Device). Or if we are talking about a
distinct separation in the UI. Perhaps even different menus/editors
entirely.

It will be interested to see how "Addons" fit here. To enable/disable
an addon is probably a template setting, but to install it it is not.
(same for themes likely).

4) I know this can be tackled as a 2.7x or a 2.8x project. But despite
what the document may suggest I think there is a lot of overlap with
the asset manager, workspaces and top bar projects. Specially in
regard to assets, keymaps, .... Anyways, this boils down to mockup
again, it would be interesting to see if templates would be benefiting
from the improvements brought by those projects, or if it's really
entirely disconnected. (which I suspect it's not).

5) I miss a page with milestones and the individual steps/tasks.
[Update: much of it is here already:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/Blender101Tasks]

Best regards,
Dalai