[Bf-interface] Buttons never disabled?

Anders Word aword99999 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 20:23:45 CEST 2017

Hi all!

I am a programmer with only a little Blender usage experience and no
Blender development experience. I find Blender 2.76 very nice to use, but I
believe there is still room for improvement.

One thing I notice is that buttons and menu items never seem to be disabled
(grayed out). For example all the Mesh Tools in 3D view are enabled all the
time, event though no vertices/edges/faces are selected. This is surprising
since almost all those tools operate on the current selection. Clicking one
of those tools while nothing is selected has no effect. Not even an error
message is displayed anywhere.

There are many advantages to having UI elements systematically disabled
when not applicable, especially for an inexperienced user. Implementing it
would make the learning curve less steep for a new Blender user.

Is there any planned or ongoing effort to make buttons and menu items
disabled when not applicable?

Should I add this as a proposal on the User Interface Proposal wiki page (
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Proposals/UI)?
Is that wiki page used or read by anyone? If not where else shall I submit
my proposal?

A related question:
Which document or wiki page is the best place to get an overview of the
user command handling code in Blender?
Reading the source code without guidance is possible, but some good
document giving me a hint on where to start looking would be helpful.

Cheers!
Anders