[Bf-interface] Pop-up Menus with On-Screen Keyboards

Jaggz H jaggz.h at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:16:16 CET 2016

I'd like to propose an option where pop-up menus can be set to appear in a
user-selectable location, for the purpose of preventing their appearance
under a desktop computer's on-screen-keyboard (OSK).

Background:
On-Screen Keyboards (OSK)'s are required for some people with disabilities,
as well as those using touchscreen interfaces.  The standard desktop OSK's
are movable windows, and Blender's mouse-position-sensitive interface
requires the keyboard be placed over the desired location for the keypress
to be active in that location.  The last position Blender "sees" the mouse
is the point at which it enters the OSK window, resulting in Blender's
pop-up menu appearing at that location.  (This does not apply to
pullup/down menus).  The end result is that the menu and/or submenus are
most-frequently partially obstructed by the OSK window.

Proposal:
1. New options in the User Prefs -> Interface; e.g.
  [X] Fixed position pop-up menus
      [Top-left, Top-right, Bottom-left, Bottom-right] Location
  * Note: I'm not 100% sure what the fixed locations should be, but I think
that's a good start.

2. While we're at it, a modification to the comment or tooltip in "Prefs ->
Interface -> Mouse -> Open on Mouse Hover" to indicate it applies to
pull-up/down menus.  :)

Jaggz