[Bf-interface] Fwd: Units presets problems

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Nov 10 19:56:49 CET 2016

Hi,

This should really be handled. Check mail below.

My suggestion is to rewind the commit.

Units code was not meant to work this way and only gets more confusing. Mapping the blender unit (the internal value of "1") to kilometers, millimeters, inches or lightyears should just work, without doing anything strange in the UI as happens now. It's a mapping. Not a scale factor.

The scale factor that gets used now was meant to scale the grid floor and to define defaults for adding new objects. That was meant for cases you want still work with meters as unit, but have grid floor draw in smaller or bigger units.

Fixing or improving unit handling is welcome, but then please do it either really good, or don't touch it.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands