[Bf-interface] Blender101

Mike Pan mike.c.pan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 07:56:34 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have officially kicked off the Blender 101 project. I had a quick chat
with Ton and we clarified the vision for Blender101.  My job is to create a
design proposal for the Blender 101 project in the next 2 months. No coding
yet.

Key Points:

   - Blender 101 will be a release-compatible build of Blender
   (reads/writes the same blend files)
   - 1 build with several UIs optimized for different scenarios
   - UX controls will be compatible with Blender 2.8 (minimal relearning
   when user transitions to the full version)
   - Include useful presets and prebuilt assets
   - Make heavy use of custom manipulators
   - Goal is to simplify, but not restrict user experiences

Process:

   - Gather feedback from Blender community
   - Gather feedback from local (Canadian) schools where Blender is taught
   - Research industry leaders/competitors
   - Understand the need of the 3D printing industry (Funder is Aleph)
   - Create and publish proposal by end of year.
   - Will continually publish my work on the my wiki
   <https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:mpan3> as well other online
   venues.

Any and all feedbacks are welcomed! Let me have it!

Thanks,

Mike