[Bf-interface] Ho to add a material node (in blender internal & BGE)

Jorge Gascon Perez jorge.gascon.perez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:42:23 CET 2016

Hi Alexander!

Thank you for your quick answer :-)

Yes, to be more concise, I just would be very happy if there could be a way
to have realtime motion blur and glow effects in the viewport :-)

I think that I would be able to implement a motion blur inside the blender
core just following your advices and hints, following tutorials like this (
http://john-chapman-graphics.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/what-is-motion-blur-motion-pictures-are.html).
How could I learn how to implement this inside Blender? I figure that
reading the code of the Ambient Occlusion you did in Blender viewport could
be of help.

How could I start implementing motion blur? Which C/C++ files should I read
to start to understand how you did the ambient occlusion and the depth of
field, guys?

In the future (2.8 or later) it would be great to have the compositor
connected to the viewport, and a node (in materials node editor and also in
the compositor node editor) where we could write GLSL vertex code and GLSL
fragment code.

Using Python, although is desiderable, it would be not necessary at this
level (if I am not mistaken).

Thank you very much, guys, I would be very happy to start coding in
Blender, I have more than 7 years of experience coding in C/C++ and OpenGL,
so I feel now comfident to do this task.

Let me know what you think :-)

> Hi Jorge!
> As I understand correctly "custom shader node" means node that can be implemented with python.
> Unfortunately blender doesn't have custom nodes that could affect OpenGL shader pipeline.
> Also compositing editor is not supported by OpenGL. But viewport has some post effects
> like "Depth of field" and "Ambient occlusion". And they was implemented in the Blender core,
> for Viewport only, because there was reasons. As I understand correctly this is pure post effects.
> The effects you mentioned (maybe except blur) use more complex techniques. All this effects require
> additional rendering passes that could be easily implemented in the blender core, than upgrading
> current material system and compositing system to have custom shader node. And compositing
> system even not supported by OpenGL. Correct me if I am mistaken.
>
> Such discussion is more suitable for bf-viewport at blender.org and bf-gamedev at blender.org
> Also look http://www.clement-foucault.com/#blender_pbr
>
> > Dear devs,
> >
> > My name is Jorge (One of the developers of BlenderCave and Blender VR) and
> > I would like to implement a way to make custom GLSL shaders whose
> > result can be viewed in the Blender viewport. Could you help me?
> >
> > Currently I have a model in Blender that is rendered in the viewport, I use
> > Blender Internal and the GLSL shading model for rendering it very fast.
> > In addition I have put a node graph of complex materials in order to have
> > Normal Mapping, reflection textures and so on.
> >
> > My scene is based on the PBR tutorial that you can find at:> https://cgcookie.com/2015/05/20/pbr-in-blenders-viewport/ <https://cgcookie.com/2015/05/20/pbr-in-blenders-viewport/>
> >
> > So, I would like to find a way to code custom GLSL based materials (I would
> > like to implement Motion blur, Glow, refraction and other effects in order
> > to see them in the viewport in realtime). Is that possible? How could I do
> > that? could you help me with some hints?
> >
> > Finally, I have a strong C/C++, OpenGL and GLSL background, so I figure
> > that I could be comfortable implementing that inside Blender source code.
> >
> > How can I start? Thank you very much :-)>
> > --
> > Jorge.
>
> --
> Alexander Romanov (Blend4Web Team)