[Bf-interface] Tool and properties panel idea.

Jeffrey italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:05:48 CET 2016

This is somewhat what tabs are supposed to alleviate, but it only works
if addon authors distribute their addons into the proper tabs. For
example, I had a lot of small, quick tools in a dedicated tab, but I
found my workflow was more task-oriented, not tool-frequency-oriented,
so I split them into their respective tabs. Sometimes addon authors
forget to set a tab, so you could do this one yourself to free up space.

Take this one, for example:
https://github.com/meta-androcto/blenderpython/blob/master/scripts/addons_extern/Container.py

In the third class, ContainerPanel, there is a bl_category entry to tell
blender which tab to put it in. In this case, it's in Relations, which
is shared with a couple of my other addons. If you wanted, you could
change it to something like Modeling, or Groups, or what have you.
bl_category is only specified in the class that draws the panel, so it
doesn't need to be in every operator in your script.

On 02/24/2016 06:19 PM, Stephen Hamacek wrote:
> Just a small idea I've had for a while I thought I'd share:
>
> With so many addons in my installation I frequently have lots of scrolling to do in my tool, properties and settings panels. I am aware of, and often use the option of CTRL-clicking a panel's name to simultaneously open it and close the other panels, which does help keep things a little saner visually.
>
> So I was wondering if it's feasible to make this behaviour default (I guess as a user preference) so that clicking a panel name opens it and closes the others, and CTRL-clicking (or SHIFT-clicking or whatever) is like regular-clicking now, for opening/closing multiple panels freely.
>
> It would just be one less keystroke x1000 for me daily, and I think others would like this option too. (Forgive me if there's already a way to do this that I don't know of...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephen Hamacek
> (Hammers)

Jeffrey "Italic_" Hoover