[Bf-interface] 2.8: Next Steps for UI Work

Mikhail Rachinskiy mikhail.rachinskiy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:17:08 CET 2016

Hi Julian,

All in all the design doc looks very solid, many annoying or problematic
UI/workflow issues were addressed (like area split by merging, or UI grid
system).

I wonder if you have discussed popup messages? As an add-on developer in
certain cases I have a need to notify user with important information, and
popup messages are a best fit for this task. But currently popup messages
will disappear if user moves mouse cursor away or use “ALT TAB” to switch
windows back to Blender which might lead to user unintentionally skipping
important message.
I like current behavior for popups in case of user driven actions (like
create new object etc.) where user calls popups by himself, but in case of
error or report it would be nice to have dialog messages which won't go
away until user clicks “OK” or “Yes/No” buttons.

Design doc only mentions “Notification logs (log of last displayed
warnings, errors and hints)”, but without visual and behavior example I
can't say if this is a good solution to this issue.

--
Mikhail Rachinskiy