[Bf-interface] The UI side of the asset project

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:44:21 CEST 2015

Hey all,

Bastien just published this -> https://developer.blender.org/T46049
and I think we should already start some work on the UI side of this.
This could prevent the project from being stuck because of pending UI
questions, help Bastien with further work and I'm sure in the end,
users will benefit from it.

I propose we organize it like this:
* Keep UI development a bit separate from technical development, but
make sure to communicate well. This will allow Bastien to stay focused
on technical stuff which is a big enough task on its own.
* Create tasks on dev.blender.org for needed design discussions (tasks
and sub-tasks).
* Stay away from discussing details as long as possible. We should
create a really rough base first, and step by step develop it further.
We can't predict all the details of the interaction yet, so we need
flexible approaches.

Bastien already proposed basic workflows for asset interaction, we
should review them and continue the work.

Like written in the task, the fundamental asset interactions from
within Blender are:
* Browsing
* Updating
assets.
I suggest we start by breaking these up into their possible sub-steps
and define where the needed data for them will be displayed (roughly!
Even more rough than this:
http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/0/0b/Elubie_asset_browser_ui_v1.png).
Again, some of this was already written down by Bastien in the task.

Curious on what you guys think and as always I hope we can get something done.

Thanks,
- Julian -