[Bf-interface] Let's talk about video encoding again

Sam Brubaker sam at worldsday.org
Fri Mar 20 22:22:46 CET 2015

Hi, Interface team! Since posting my proposal on how to fix Blender's
output encoding interface
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Rocketman/Encoding_ui_proposal>,
I've received some helpful and interesting feedback.

I like Mike Pan's suggestion about placing the container menu under the
output panel instead of the video encoding panel. I also agree that bit
rates should be expressed in kilobits or megabits instead of bits.

Sobotka said some stuff about the encoding requirements of small studios
that was over my head, but it sounds great, too. I think it was mentioned
earlier, but I like the idea of narrowing the supported codecs to the most
useful intermediate codecs for studio pipelines, along with a few common
lossy codecs for dailies and lazy web posts.

This proposal doesn't call for any major paradigm shifts, and it's not some
ground-breaking pinnacle of UI philosophy. I think it can be addressed as a
discrete component of Blender without interfering with the UI team's
grander machinations. Anything would be better than the existing panel
layout.

What else can you guys add to this discussion?