[Bf-interface] GUI redesign - Call for Participation ;)

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 01:07:39 CEST 2015

Hey Diego,

Thanks for the feedback!

* Interface Style option
Campbell and me discussed this a bit more in depth and created a
design task for it (https://developer.blender.org/T45025)
I'd still prefer to keep it as a separate task for now, bothering no
one else than me (and Campbell a bit :P), since I'm afraid it would
take our focus away from the general GUI-redesign work.

* Sub-buttons
Sub-buttons in fact should also be considered as a separate project, I
just thought it would be nice to have them implemented for widget
rollover finally, but I'm going to separate them later.
In the branch they are currently only used for the rollover feedback
and the handling of click-tweaking values. Sub-buttons are basically
independent buttons within buttons, so anything you can do with
buttons we can apply to sub-buttons as well. E.g: Triggering
operators, triggering menus/popups, tweaking properties (as done with
the ones in the branch), providing better cursor feedback, or as you
already said, providing feedback about the driver context. Another use
case might be a "x"-icon within tabs:
https://developer.blender.org/T39835 (not using sub-buttons).

* Default DPI
Yeah, we have to check that together at some point, I personally even
like to have a DPI at about 80 and font sizes at 10.

* Checkbox Design
This is one of the cases where personal tastes come into play. I for
example think that gives them a more modern look, others don't ;)

* Widget corner roundness option
Well as I said, it's mostly for testing purposes and I don't think it
will end up in master (esp not once we have Interface Style options)

* UserPref tabs
Nope, I didn't forget them, it's just a separate project I merged into
the UI-experiments branch (see https://developer.blender.org/D667)

Thanks again for the feedback Diego, was interesting to read and I'll
keep it in mind for further decisions :)