[Bf-interface] Blender 101

Paweł Łyczkowski pawellyczkowski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:56:31 CEST 2015

Here is my opinion about Blender 101:

I suspect that when people are asking for Blender 101, they aren't
necessarily asking about Blender that is stripped down (which is bad for
several reasons), but a Blender that is easy to use. In my opinion it is
possible to make Blender easy to use for the basic stuff, by implementing
following changes, without doing any major harm to the advanced users, by
implementing them in a way that can be hidden/customized:

- Providing GUI elements for all basic functionality. For instance:
operations on UV's can be done only via keyboard shortcuts -> add a
manipulator to the UV Editor. Toolbar is just a bunch of tool names -> add
descriptive icons, double the size. A lot of important functionality is
hidden (in menus, or only in shortcuts) -> add them to the toolbars with
icons (there is enough space now thanks to tabs).
- Make default keymap (mostly selection) more standard (see the rSelection
add-on).
- Add RMB menu (see rRMB add-on).
- Add cycles material presets, environment presets etc.
- Add some instructional materials for basic functionality (selecting,
transforming, adding objects etc)
- (Optional) - revamp topbar. Already touched a bit by Julian.

A proposition on how the GUI can become customizable (so the long time
users can revert some of these changes) was once touched in the toolbar
GSOC. Another is by me here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ScPMbHv8WRCU2znB7IU2l-W9hH-NLs5weQKLkjqmgpA/edit#heading=h.ksohiz4ytrsj