[Bf-interface] UI Meeting/Discussion Notes - January 18th

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:10:41 CET 2015

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's Blender UI meeting in irc.freenode.net,
#blenderui

1) Current status/Goals for 2.74

- Jonathan Williamson and Pawel Lyczkowski are still working on the
new keymap(s) but 2.74 is to soon. They're aiming for 2.75 instead (of
course it will be optional at first).

- It is still unclear how exactly we will deal with keymaps in future,
but we all agree that we shouldn't try to fit all needs with just one
keymap. Instead the proposal is to have one really minimal keymap -
easy for new users and a solid base for custom, workflow orientated
keymaps - and a bigger one like the current, but still not that
massive and much more organized.

- Sticky Keys patch is basically finished, review and merge should happen soon

- Same applies to Value Ladders (https://developer.blender.org/D760)

- There are a few "smaller" patches like File Browser font preview
(https://developer.blender.org/D1002) and thumbnail zooming
(https://developer.blender.org/T27830), some outliner related patches
(https://developer.blender.org/T43282), ... . They are all waiting for
review but should go into 2.74 as well

2) Possible goals for 2.75
To set development priorities early enough we already talked about the
goals for 2.75:

- Some feedback from the Gooseberry team (others are welcome as well!)
is needed for custom wireframe colors and we are also not sure how
it's going code wise, but it looks like a tangible topic for 2.75

- Getting some widgets from the widget project into master is also a
goal for 2.75. Julian Eisel will help Antony Riakiotakis with that (so
he can focus more on the viewport project! :) )

- Also goals for 2.75: User Preference tabs
(https://developer.blender.org/D667) and viewport navigation icons
(https://developer.blender.org/D584).

3) Other projects
- Modifier drag & drop and the 2D-widget redesign (not to confound
with the viewport widgets) are on this list

- We also talked about something like a "Tip of the Day" or a "First
time using Blender? Take a tour" section for the splash, but we need
coders to pick that up (both shouldn't be too hard to implement)

We will use the mailing list to schedule the next meeting, but it is
to be expected in the next weeks to review the status for the 2.74
release.

Thanks all,

- Julian (Severin) -