[Bf-gamedev] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Owen Hogarth II gurenchan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:40:13 CET 2016

Physically based rendering is coming in full force and most if not all
artists professional or hobby have to just adopt it or get left in the
past. Opengl Vulkan is coming and eventually you adapt to it or die. One
thing I don't get about this back and fourth is the idea that this less
evil is better than that greater evil. Why not live w/o the evil. There
will always be stragglers, there's still people out there writing programs
with fixed pipeline opengl. There are people still running windows XP out
there who do not want to upgrade to linux. It's my opinion that no matter
how long you wait, it will never be a good time to switch to something new.

FBX export in blender works, leave it where it is and move on to something
new. As far as which new format to use, that can be up for debate but the
idea that you're still asking should we or shouldn't we move past FBX is
quite a shame. Chicken or the egg problem, artists won't just get up ad
adopt something new. I'd say implement one of the new formats and keep it
moving.

Best,
Owen