[Bf-gamedev] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Cremuss ghislain at cremuss.net
Tue Feb 9 18:18:58 CET 2016

Hi,

As evil as FBX is, and I totally understand why you think it's a
dead-end (and it is, truly), I feel it is a necessary evil for now.

Many of us pro Game Artists rely on FBX file format because there's
simply no other choice yet. I export a lot of animated stuff to UE4 and
Unity, and dropping FBX support in Blender would mean I'd most certainly
have to buy and use a proprietary 3D software to work, which is a shame.

A minimal FBX support would still work for me though, because,
/personally/, I just need to be able to /export/ animated meshes and
armatures, mostly to Unity and UDK/UE4. So dropping support of the FBX
importer, as well as the support of lights, cameras and any other fancy
stuff wouldn't affect me or my work at all. But that's just me.

However, I'm all for supporting an open format if it will allow me to
export animated data to Unity/UDK/UE4 by the time we fully drop FBX
support. But as far as I know, there's no open FBX yet :/

I know Unreal has donated to the Blender Foundation to work on the FBX
exporter so they seems open and friendly to me. Maybe there's a way to
talk to them and see what kind of options we have.

Anyway, that's just my honest opinion!:)