[Bf-gamedev] Time management in the BGE

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Mon Sep 28 13:11:46 CEST 2015

Hey all,

There are a few strange things in the time management of the BGE. The result
is that with certain combinations of options, the engine runs at 1000+ FPS,
and doesn't correctly record animations to Blender curves.

In short:

- Enabling fixed-timestep ticks should no longer cause as-fast-as-possible
  rendering;
- timesteps for fixed-timestep ticks should be configurable (now fixed 60 Hz);
- KX_KetsjiEngine has multiple variables for storing time, and they
  seem to contain different values which should still reflect "now"
  in some way. This should be clarified in code & comments, as it makes
  my head hurt (and features like D728 harder to accept).

I want to invite everybody who's interested in this to join the discussion at
https://developer.blender.org/D1509.

Cheers,
--
Sybren A. Stüvel