[Bf-gamedev] PBR Workflow

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:08:46 CET 2015

By "current GLSL node system" do you mean viewport preview of Cycles/BI
materials in today's Blender? Or does BGE have some real-time magic I'm not
aware of?

GLSL text as output could be consumed by some engines, and will be really
helpful when debugging our own code gen! UE4 materials use HLSL under the
hood so exporting nodes instead of shader text makes more sense there --
they can generate their own text.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Jacob Merrill <blueprintrandom1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Can the current glsl node system be used to make a corrected pbr
> template?(temporary fix?)
>
> can glsl node scripts then be output as a glsl script somehow for ue4,
> godot, unity5 etc?
> On Nov 18, 2015 1:15 PM, "Mike Erwin" <significant.bit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) someone else will have to chime in about color space stuff. Reflection
>> probes will be needed, maybe call that 2b for this conversation. Simpler 2a
>> would be image-based lighting from a single global source. Fake it til we
>> make it. Or til we can fake it better, since we're talking reflection
>> probes and not ray tracing.
>>
>> 3) glTF perhaps? Blender could export the node tree as long as the set of
>> supported nodes on the other end (game engine) are known. Or combine those
>> into text-based GLSL, which glTF can handle.
>>
>> Mike Erwin
>> musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Juan Linietsky <reduzio at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike, this is great news. We are going to add PBR in Godot soon too, so
>>> having a proper workflow for exporting this (and not only to Unreal) would
>>> be desired.
>>> Regarding your points:
>>>
>>> 1) We have a node based and text based shader support, so something like
>>> this would be pretty useful.
>>> 2) I think this is more tricky than that, because nowadays modern game
>>> engines all render in linear colorspace and later do tonemapping and gama
>>> correction. Textures would need to be converted to linear (if they aren't
>>> already). Also, we should be able to set global viewport/camera reflection
>>> probes?