[Bf-gamedev] Proposal to (try to) get better FBX support (Nahuel Belich)

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 17 10:38:19 CEST 2014

I do not think Collada is the way to go, I would even say it’s the other
direction we should take, if we were to work on a new format.

I would go to a minimalistic format. FBX is much better than collada on
this regard, but it is cluttered with an history of crapiness - and some
aspects (like its object transform model) are still crazy.

An exchange format does not have to support every possible feature. An
exchange format has to be simple!

E.g. I like Wavefront .obj format - it is simple (even though Max
managed to break it with odd expectations on smoothgroups :/ )!

So if I where to design a new format, I would take the basics of FBX,
and get rid of everything I do not like in it (the multi ways to
represent an armature and skinning, the insane object transform
handling, complex anim curves, etc.) - not to mention stupid unused
things like custom shaders, etc.

We should even probably build it bottom-up: we start with a *very*
simple base, e.g. object + (mesh) geometry, and then build upon this,
step by step, with each time wide consultation of all interested
entities & people to know whether this is *really* needed.

And having a system of custom props, for people who really want to write
more specific/advanced data.

Just my two cents, imho time needed to design and get accepted a new
format would be really huge, this won’t work unless a good part of the
CG/Game  community (including some big companies) step in - and I have
the feeling most are more or less satisfied with current status… :/

Bastien