[Bf-gamedev] Using the Blender Games Engine for immersive training in a 360 projection dome

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:14:59 CEST 2014

Hi James,
I'm not familiar with syphon/spout so I may be missing something here.

The entire BGE dome rendering code is in KX_Dome.cpp. That said I
wonder if it's not possible to accomplish what you suggest via Python
(eventually extending BGL) using a scene.post_render callback. If it
has to be a low-level setup before you even create the windows than
this would need to be tackled at "Ghost" level (Blender's internal
window manager system).

>From a quick look at those solutions, it seems Spout wouldn't work in
Blender since it's based on Directx. Blender does have a branch that
would eventually allow for DirectX backend (the so called viewport
project), but I don't think it's in a usable state at the moment.

I wonder if you can afford a dedicated machine that can take the
output of the BGE computer as direct input and handle the blending,
warping and splitting there. Last time I had such a requirement [*] we
were outputting a 4k texture of a chopped equirectangular panorama
(Stereo > Dome > Spherical Panoramic) and outputting it via both
output ports of the graphic card.

Note, in my case I really needed real-time performance so I patched
the dome code to work with an arbitrary vertical field of view X 360
horizontal FoV. I can dig this patch again if that would help you, we
can discuss that in private.

Also I would recommend a machine with a really good dual-core system
(as oppose to things like i7), so the BGE can perform better (the BGE
is mainly single-core at the moment).

[*] - http://dalaifelinto/?page_id=445

Cheers,
Dalai