[Bf-gamedev] Cycles Baking Development

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:15:50 CET 2014

Hi Fredrik,

If you read my reply again you will notice that I never actually said
anything about removing OS normal maps. WS and OS normal maps are not
the same thing. ;)

The reason I suggested removing WS normal maps is that they are
virtually identical to OS with the exception that they need to remain in
the same position and can't be rotated etc. and as such they are the
least flexible normal maps of all. OS normal maps would serve exactly
the same purpose with less code to maintain in the future.

Handplane actually requires Object space and not World Space btw. so you
don't really want to be using WS normal maps.
I'm not sure what you mean by less errors really. Baking to Object space
does nothing to reduce errors in bakes, it just ignore the crude
smoothing of the low poly mesh which when set up incorrectly for Tangent
space can give you seams etc.

Cheers,

-Andy