[Bf-gamedev] GSOC proposal? ES rasterizer + Raspberry Pi

Bartek Moniewski monio4 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:07:34 CET 2014

On 03/14/2014 08:44 AM, Jason Wilkins wrote:
> Viewport fx branch contains an up to date OpenGL 3 core profile and
> OpenGL ES port.

Hi.
I have some concerns about viewportFX prospectivity.
Are you talking about OpenGL 3.0 or OpenGL "3" versions like 3.3?
This means that 3.0 will be minimal requirements to run blender (on
PC) or this is the maximum that viewportfX can handle?

As I know Opengl 3.3 is minimal requirement for hardware tesselation
and things like hardrware driven OpenSubDiv mesh subdivision. IMHO its
crucial to have features like that in Blender if we want make it
future-proof and fit to todays standards. Cheapest cards released in
2009 (nvidia 9100) can run ogl3.3. I think most of Blender users have
far superior hardware today.

Talking about abstraction layers. Is this mean that blender viewport
someday can handle ogl version 4.4 on some computers but run on 3.3 on
older machines?
Will be great if Blender can handle things like that:
www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/tessellation_shader.txt

Cheers.
Bartek