[Bf-gamedev] PBR Rendering in the Viewport

Matt Three ragingelbows at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 00:42:40 CEST 2014

Just thought I'd draw everyone's attention to the project that someone's
showing off in the forums over at Blenderartists.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?343278-GLSL-PBR-Shader-for-viewport

For me, this is the one big thing Blender is lacking right now.  We've had
all of this great work happening in the game art sphere in the last 6-12
months.  Even 2 months ago I couldn't bake meshes reliably in Blender.  Now
we have paint and sculpt improvements that have made Blender an excellent
all around tool for game art (or at least the only tool that does it all).
 However we're still sort of behind the curve on materials, and I'm unable
to really do any texturing work in Blender because of the lack of a
rendering mode that is good for PBR.  I do all of my texturing in Substance
Designer / Painter because of this.  For modern engines (UE4, Unity 5,
CryEngine) PBR is the default rendering mode, so it would be nice to be
able to work with PBR style materials right in Blender like you can in Maya
or Substance or DDO/NDO. This way I would not have to use a 3rd party app
to view / texture my models.

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work and perhaps someone can find a way
to integrate this project or something like it in the future.