[Bf-gamedev] FBX Exporter to UE4 and Root Motion

Alan Robinson alanwilliamrobinson at nexymedia.com
Wed Jul 2 15:57:39 CEST 2014

Hey there folks,

I'm developing a game called "Atajrubah" , using Unreal Engine 4 and
Blender for modelling,rigging and animation. Part of the technical setup
is implementing root motion in our characters. I've been working with
Jeremy (he worked on Sintel and Tears of Steel previously) and he's
really on the ball with his rig and a great animator.

We've got everything parented to a root bone but the fbx exporter keeps
adding the rig object as an additional static bone, killing the motion
of the root bone we've set up. UE4 doesn't have the option of selecting
which bone that you want to inherit root motion from, so it defaults to
the first bone in the hierarchy.

I've been wrestling with the FBX exporter for a while now and have tried
redbeard's solution , trying to stop the exporter from exporting the rig
object as an additional parent bone. However the script fails to export
with the modifications that I've made (granted that my experience is
with c++ and the UE4 code base , so no surprise there I guess ).

*[Redbeard's exporter work around]*
(http://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/blender-baking-fbxexport/
<http://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/blender-baking-fbxexport/>)

ideasman42 from the IRC channel recommended I get in touch with mont29
for further support. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

You can find more information about the game at the links below, please
do let me know your thoughts on this.

- MrNexy

*[Atajrubah IndieDB page]*
http://www.indiedb.com/games/atajrubah/