[Bf-gamedev] Lua

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:40:23 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Jason Wilkins
<jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've used SWIG, and it did occur to me that if I wrote a SWIG interface file
> that it would bring in lots of languages all at once.
>
> It doesn't support just "any" language.  I wish it had V8 or spidermonkey
> support, for example.
>

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Jacob Merrill <blueprintrandom1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> What about this? - http://www.swig.org/
>>
>> this seems like a way to make "ANY" language grab the same handles in the
>> BGE.
>>
>> I could be mistaken...

If we have more languages I would want to check on runtimes that
already support a verity of languages.
- LLVM/JVM/Mono for eg... who knows, maybe PyPy or Parrot...

(in all seriousness Mono seems most compelling and has worked well for
Unity3D), then we can support one runtime as well as different
languages.

LLVM has the advantage we already bundle it with OSL, so worth
investigating too.

But to get back to reality - this conversation keeps re-opening and
nothing ever comes of it.
Yes - we can support whatever languages we like - but this just ends
up being a huge project when you consider integration with the rest of
Blender and ongoing maintenance.

--
- Campbell