[Bf-gamedev] HTML 5 exporter from BGE

Matt Three ragingelbows at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:07:14 CEST 2013

One of the reasons that I was excited about this mailing list is that it
distinguished making art for game engines from BGE. I think my worry (and a
lot of those people I know who also use Blender with outside engines) was
that BGE was getting the lion's share of attention and a lot of game
centric features that were useful to more mainstream engines were just
ignored because there was always a 'well, we have a game engine' rationale.
If I think about it, I can name no less than five open source game engines
off the top of my head. I can only think of one open source 3D dcc tool
that can compete with professional packages, and that's Blender.  So for a
lot of us that use other engines like UDK and CryEngine (in my case) or
Unity it seemed like a lot of the BGE devs were just reinventing the wheel
and ignoring features that were sorely needed for people who work with
other more production ready engines. I guess what I'm saying is, I hope
this whole list and effort doesn't devolve into just another BGE
project...I really want a tool that is on par with Maya or Max in terms of
capability for game asset production...and Blender is so close....

Anyhow, what I came here to say was something to jwilkins... I think you're
actually doing some of the most important work in Blender development now.
 I do a lot of environmental sculpting in Z-Brush that I would love to do
in Blender, but it's just impossible.  I can't push the poly count I need
to for really detailed models. In Z-Brush I get up to around 30 million
polys regularly; Blender completely chokes at 10, and I have a really fast
computer.  So keep working at it...the light is at the end of the tunnel.