[Bf-gamedev] HTML 5 exporter from BGE

Alberto Torres kungfoobar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:15:47 CEST 2013

2013/9/25 Jacob Merrill <blueprintrandom1 at gmail.com>

> *I would love to see this html5 engine even if it's still quite basic,*

The engine itself is quite basic indeed, but it shines in the blender side.
It supports armatures and shape keys calculated in GPU. I'm making tests to
see if I can support realtime subsurf.

> and the reason I love the BGE is the SCA+python system, and the
> integration directly into the 3d ap, and the community, and ..... well
> everything,

That's the exact reasons I like it too. But I was very tired of the pain of
debugging logic bricks and I wanted something more, and for that reason I
used Gamekit for a long while, I did PyGamekit, been commiting improvements
to GK (I even did a script for converting GLSL materials to ESSL although I
didn't publish it) until I decided to make a new engine from scratch.
Especially since I started a Python-ish (dialect) to JS and C compiler
(with inferred typing, which is now evolving to a new language better
suited for realtime 3D dev).

if the BGE needs a re-write in some of it's core, to be "competitive"
> why not do it?
>
> What is holding us back?
>
> Why is bge "slow" ?
> with multithreading and a few other tricks it should not be a problem to
> "divide and conquer"
>
> Or am I missing something?

Any new engine that is written to replace BGE seems to lack other
fundamental BGE features. I hope to solve that, though.

Also, it has now Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra support (and therefore the
upcoming Sixense STEM).

DiThi