[Bf-gamedev] Cube Map rendering (Cycles)

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 23:44:08 CEST 2013

> Every engine I've worked in stores cubemaps in one file but skyboxes
(...) in six. Engine texture compilers might also consume separate files
for each cubemap face even if the result is stored in one combined file.

Could you be a bit more specific in the engines/specs here?

For example:
engine X use 1 image with Top-Back-Bottom/Left/Front/Right
engine Y uses 6 images for skybox but also can take 1 image ordered like X
engine Z uses ...

Or at least some names/links/references.
Hopefully we can find a standard we can follow and keep things simple.

> (...) one aspect of that is determining the location of each face in a
combined output image. It's already possible to do that, there's just no
GUI for it...

Are you referring to the Environment Map panel?
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/59432

What do you mean by 'it's already possible to do it, but not through the
gui'? How are changing the cubemap order at the moment?

* * *

Apart from that I think Cycles supporting this format has vantages on its
own. I know people that advocate for Cube Maps over panoramas as the de
facto format the industry should adopt (e.g., words from Paul Bourke).

Thanks,
Dalai