[Bf-gamedev] Cube Map rendering (Cycles)

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:08:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

Is Cubemap rendering a relevant feature for games nowadays?
If so which formats are used for that?

1) A single TGA/DDS/... file with six images [1]
2) Individual images (left.tga, right.tga, ...)?

If the former (1) we could add Cube Map mode to the panorama camera in
Cycles and for the Environment Texture node in the compositor.

The downside of this is that Cycles itself cannot yet be used baking. So I
find a bit strange to have an envmap rendered with Cycles while the rest of
the game textures will not.

If the latter (2) I will leave this for once multiview is merged in trunk.
(note that I'm working in multiview only in my own free times, so that's
not fast)

For reference see: "Better handling of cubemaps rendering; cubemap
rendering support for Cycles; cubemap camera" in the "Blender Gamedev
Requests/Issues" [1].

[1] - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/File:Dev-GameEngine-Dome-EnvMap.jpg
[2] -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS_F0ZKX-zTdGxKOEMtRmI2Tno4UUlPZzVfNXB6RHc#gid=0